Brood Mothers are large, heavy Infested that spawn Maggots within their chest cavity, which the Brood Mother can then release to attack enemies. Brood Mothers will also charge at nearby opponents, and release an additional swarm of maggots upon death. They were introduced in the Operation: Mutalist Incursions event in Update 15.5.
Attached Maggots slow the victim down a little while doing damage over time, with the slowdown and damage increasing with the number of attached maggots. These maggots are weak and easy to dispatch but due to their small size can prove to be difficult without AoE weapons or abilities.
- Rolling or using a melee attack will make Maggots fall on the ground. This will not kill them and they will continue to pursue a player until killed. This means that attacking a Brood Mother with melee will make you relatively safe.
- Shooting them in the chest cavity will do a considerable amount of damage.
- Mind Controlled Brood Mothers will release friendly Maggots; however, it seems that when the ability ends the Maggots spawned while the Brood Mother is Mind Controlled will become hostile again.
- Maggots cannot be shot off of friendly units.
- The Brood Mother was introduced in Devstream 35, where it was referred to as the Diseased Ancient.
- Brood Mother corpses cannot be desecrated normally. However, if the Brood Mothers are stopped from releasing Maggots upon death, desecrating is possible. A reliable way to do this is killing them in one shot with a high damage weapon like the Dread (requires further testing).
- Mind Controlling a Brood Mother during a Defense mission may make it impossible to end the current wave, due to possible errors with the spawned maggots.
- The Brood Mother's deceptive hitbox means that sometimes players will have to fire near the center of the Brood Mother's model to actually hit it.
- Maggot, the enemy that the Brood Mother can spawn.
|Walker||Charger • Leaper • Maggot • Runner • Volatile Runner|
|Crawler||Crawler • Electric Crawler • Lobber Crawler • Nauseous Crawler • Toxic Crawler|
|Machine||Mutalist Osprey • Swarm Mutalist MOA • Tar Mutalist MOA • Power Carrier|
|Ancient||Ancient Disruptor • Ancient Healer • Boiler • Brood Mother • Toxic Ancient|
|Archwing||Attack Mutalist • Mutalist Lightning Carrier • Mutalist Toxic Carrier|
|Jordas Golem • Juggernaut (Behemoth) • Lephantis • Mutalist Alad V • Phorid|