As a reward for accepting the challenge, completing the mission will result in a special prize of a Rare Nightmare mod with dual effects.
To unlock Nightmare mode, one must complete all of the missions on the planet. You also cannot start a Nightmare mode mission if your Mastery Rank is 0.
From Update 11.0 onwards you may choose whether to run the mission in Nightmare Mode or not. If some of the players in given cell do not have Nightmare Mode unlocked, only those with it unlocked should select Nightmare Mode or else the mission will start normally.
The rewards for this mode are randomized, so a player can complete the same mission repeatedly for a different reward.
Beginning in Update 11.7, eligible Alert missions have a 5% chance to become Nightmare Alert missions. Players will be rewarded a guaranteed Nightmare mod and in exchange the No Shields modifier is always one of the selected modifiers. (unless the mission type is a hijack, as you need shield in order to make the convoy to move)
All Nightmare Mode enemies are significantly increased in level and will have 3 times the damage output, and in some cases are replaced with more dangerous versions. For example, instead of spawning Grineer Lancers, the map may spawn more Elite Lancers in their place. In Nightmare mode, lockers won't drop ammo but enemies still will. Environmental Hazards can also appear as usual.
Up to two of the following challenges may occur per mission, and each modifier has an equal chance of being selected:
|No Shields||All player shields are reduced to zero.||
|Timer||The mission has a 5-minute timer that will fail the mission if it runs down. Killing enemies will add 5 seconds to the timer.||
|Health Vampire||Players will lose 1.5% of their maximum health every second, Killing enemies will recover 12.5% of their maximum health for the entire cell. Players cannot die from the effect.||
|Energy Drain||Players will steadily lose energy at approximately 5 points per second.||
|Lethal Explosive Barrels||Explosive Barrels will now deal high, if not fatal damage.||
|Longer Reload||Reload times are increased by ~50%||
|Low Gravity||Gravity is reduced.||
- Main article: Category:Nightmare Mode Mods
Possible rewards on completion include:
- It is possible for a nightmare mode mission to not actually have any nightmare mode mission modifiers, but instead, a Death Mark modifier will take its place. If no mission modifier is visible at the start or apparently active during the mission, the player can be sure that a Death Mark will appear during the mission.
- Certain mission types that can go indefinitely in normal missions will require players to last a set duration before they are allowed to extract or otherwise complete the mission;
- Nightmare Defense missions require players to finish 10 waves to complete the mission.
- Nightmare Survival missions require players to survive 10 minutes to complete the mission.
- Nightmare Interception missions require players to finish two rounds to complete the mission.
- Nightmare Excavation missions require players to gather at least 500 units of Cryotic to complete the mission.
- At the time of Nightmare Mode's introduction there was a No Minimap modifier that also removed the objective indicator. This was removed in Update 9.4 following player complaints
- Update 9.4 added the No Shields modifier to the Energy Drain modifier, as well as reducing the chance of getting the combined modifier. Update 11.5.4 simply split the modifiers altogether.
- Update 9.7 added the mod rewards from the Arid Fear Event (Shred, Vigor and Lethal Torrent) in Nightmare Mode's reward pool.
- There seems to be an increased drop chance of resources, mods and other pickups. Users report finding many more mods than usual on missions.
- Host Migration will sometimes revert the mission to a normal state, removing all modifiers and resetting enemy levels to the mission's original range. Nightmare mods will still be rewarded however.
- The Health Vampire and Timer modifiers will take effect as soon as the mission begins, i.e. as soon as the beginning cutscene starts.
|PvE||Assassination • Capture • Crossfire • Deception • Defense • Excavation • Exterminate • Hijack • Interception • Mobile Defense • Recovery • Rescue • Sabotage (Orokin, Hive, Sealab) • Spy • Survival • Trial|
|PvP||Duel • Solar Rail Conflict|
Cephalon Capture • Annihilation • Team Annihilation
|Alert • Hazards • Invasion • Nightmare Mode • Quest • Sortie • Tile Sets|