- All "charge weapons" (guns) are capable of holding their charge during a sprint, and as long as the user starts the charge, they are able to finish charging while they are still sprinting. This allows for more mobility to the user such as charging their weapon in cover, then run into the room and to unleash their first shot at first sight at the enemy immediately.
- Using elevators and opening coop doors also does not cancel the charge, however hacking consoles and opening lockers will.
- Sliding when you are about to hit the ground (from any height) is very useful for keeping your charge instead of losing it by rolling.
- While wall running will not cancel the charge, edge grabbing will.
- Pressing reload during a charge will cancel it regardless of ammo remaining.
- Enemy bullets can cause the Ogris' Rockets to explode prematurely. Consider:
- Firing indirectly to your target (shooting the ground/walls around them)
- Waiting for the enemy to stop firing before you release your rocket.
- AoE effects such as the Napalm's hazards can also destroy rockets.
- Usage of the Speed Trigger mod can greatly decrease down-time for this weapon.
- Effects both Charge time and attack speed.
- Consider the enemy factions:
- On the other hand, the Infested move very quickly and are not always grouped for easy crowd-kills. Very often, you will have the lesser enemies blocking rockets with their speed for their swarming allies. Against the Infested, focus on killing heavy units first especially Disruptor and Toxic Ancients, and then clean up the remainder
- Three or more team members using the Infested Impedance artifact can increase the efficiency by slowing them down enough to where you can fire with ease.
- The Grineer have a mix of large crowds and dangerous heavy enemies that cannot be ignored. Both are equally dangerous; the picking-off-tougher-enemies-first-strategy and the clearing-groups-first-strategy are both valid options whose priorities depend on the situation at hand.
- Grineer Shield Lancers can resist the impact of the Ogris, but they'll take the full damage of the explosion that comes after this impact.
- Firestorm can be considered a damage multiplier as it increases the effective area of the explosion. As damage gets stronger closer to the epicenter of the explosion extending the range of the explosion also increases the effective damage area(s).
- Having a sentinel with a Guardian mod will come in handy when taking too much damage from the rockets.
Suicidal Damage Evasion
- Carry a close-ranged sidearm when using the Ogris.
- Evaluate the risk of massive self-damage before engaging enemies at close-range with this weapon.
- Be wary of passing players and enemies when lining a shot up. Mistimed shots could result in a close proximity explosion dealing damage to yourself.
- Consider telling your team members to avoid standing / moving in front of you to prevent a self-incapacitation, or simply stand where players would not normally pass in front of you, such as a ledge or on top of a box.
- When using this weapon at close range jumping back usually brings you outside of the blast radius.
AoE Mechanic Tips
This section is for those of you who don't know how to use a rocket launchers' AoE effect against multiple targets.
- The closer the target is to the epicenter of the explosion the more damage it will take that is why Firestorm can be considered a damage modifier mod as it extends the effective AoE.
- Due to the nature of the Ogris's charging time, projectile travel time, and explosive properties, try to plan where you want the rockets to hit before firing.
- If you are caught in a situation where you must engage enemies where you will be within blast-radius, charge a rocket and then dive backwards while firing. This will reduce the chances of an accident.
- The AoE blast can be useful for taking out enemies behind cover. Aiming at a nearby wall or patch of floor situated behind them will render their cover useless.
- An enemy's hitbox can provide cover for those behind it. Aim at the middle of the ground when attacking incoming groups.
- Firing from higher elevations makes greater use of its AoE damage.
As of Update 9.7, Punch Through (formerly Puncture) now works with the Ogris. While rockets do not explode when they punch through, they will still deal damage the normal impact damage shown in the infobox (not the 500 AoE damage).
If the punch through distance does not exceed that of the object the projectile initially makes contact with, the rocket will explode immediately inside the target, dealing no radius damage at all. As such it is important to adjust your Punch Through level.
Punch Through Tips
- Punch through can be used as a safety net as rockets can pass through other players.
- Using walls to blow up rockets to use splash damage may not work all the time, as your rocket may decide to punch through the targetted object.
- Punch through may not be completely reliable for projectile weapons (does not work all the time), so the risk for self harm is still present.
As of Update 10.4, Heavy Caliber's accuracy reduction makes rockets spread.
- Heavy Caliber is a straight up damage multiplier that decreases accuracy into a terrible point. Even shooting a mid-range targets will have the risk of completely missing.
- Split Chamber gives the Ogris another rocket that lands in a different location due to the accuracy debuff from Heavy Caliber.
- Firestorm when coupled with Split Chamber is especially effective as it increases the overall effective range of the Ogris as well as the damage dealt from each individual explosion.
- Shred punch through's gimicks are somewhat negated with Heavy Caliber as the rockets no longer land in the same spot as one another. This means even if one rocket passes through an enemy and does not blow up the other rocket will still have a chance of blowing up.
The Ogris synergizes well with the following frames:
Vauban can charge, fire, and reload during the use of any of his abilities, with the Ogris in less than a second, he can wipe out the entire waves at short notice. This flexibility arguably makes Vauban one of the best warframes to use an Ogris with. Some of the possible combos are, but not limited to:
- Charging the Ogris while Bouncing yourself and firing from overhead can clear out a wave in the distance where standing on the ground would not do effectively.
- Charging the Ogris while throwing a Bastille and shooting below enemies - Vauban's standard wave-clear, most effective against Infested and with narrow chokepoints.
- Charging the Ogris while throwing a Vortex and shooting near the affected area - Vauban's secondary wave-clear. Generally used as last-resort due to the energy cost.
While the Sonar ability can amplify the burst damage output of the projectile, however is unreliable. The damage done by the explosion will always be dealt to the torso, regardless of where the shot hit. If Sonar did not put the weakspot on the enemies torso, it is pretty much useless.
On the other hand, should Sonar put the weakspot on the torso it will allow Banshee to deal insane damage with great ease. Banshee can also push away enemies if they are too close, then follow up with a rocket.
Frost has three abilities that synergize with the Ogris:
- Stunning an enemy with Freeze and then firing a rocket directly at the weakpoint is an effective way to assassinate tougher enemies. This rarely happens if you are in a party due to the nature of Freeze.
- Slowing a line of enemies with Ice Wave can make it fairly easy to clear the wave, assuming that your positioning is good.
- Snow Globe can allow Frost to shoot at enemies from higher heights (which usually have little to no cover) without any disruption or danger of return fire. Try using smaller globe to avoid blocking your team's (and in some cases, your own) line of sight.
By using Decoy and Switch Teleport to a higher position, Loki can easily access areas that give the Ogris a huge advantage. Decoy is also a fairly good ability for gathering enemies together.
Saryn's Molt is treated like Loki's Decoy allowing her time to reach on areas for her to take a good shot at her distracted targets.
The Ogris can very easily trigger Molecular Prime, and Worm Hole can place the Ogris in a favorable position assuming no enemies enter.
Chaos can be an effective way to force enemies to group up for easy rocket kills. Mind Control can CC a singular high-priority target long enough for an Ogris to assassinate it.
Rhino can take advantage to all four of his abilities:
- The Rhino Charge is treated as Excalibur's Slash Dash as this can be used to escape a clump of enemies before delivering the shot with the Ogris.
- Iron Skin can also lessen the impact of getting caught in the blast radius of the Ogris.
- Rhino can also take advantage to the damage increase of Roar, but this also increases the damage on himself.
- Rhino Stomp stops the enemies on their tracks, giving Rhino clear shots at the most susceptible areas. This also softens the enemies, making clearer results of the destruction.
The Link ability will turn the Ogris's self-damage disadvantage into a potential nuke. Trinity can also use her healing abilities to fix any accidental self-damage. Update 9.8 has made this strategy significantly more dangerous due to Link being just a percentage reduction. However, a properly buffed Trinity can turn the new multitarget feature into a force multiplier for the Ogris and Blessing will still let her tank one or two blasts entirely.
Super Jump gives the Excalibur an overhead view. Radial Blind followed by a Slash Dash can be used to create distance away from groups of enemeis to allow another rocket shot.
Terror and Shadows of the Dead can distract enemies long enough for a rocket in the same fashion as Nyx's combo, however, Terror may cause enemies to move around unpreditably.
Rip Line gives Valkyr unparalleled mobility with low energy cost, allowing her to get anywhere very quickly, or to momentarily gain a height advantage and fire from overhead, similar to Excalibur's Super Jump. It also serves as an excellent escape plan if enemies are too close and you're surrounded by them.
- With Rip Line, Valkyr can access areas on Endless Defense maps where she can easily rain death from above with Ogris without fear of retaliation, far away from enemy's range of sight.