Penta is a Grenade launcher used by Corpus Penta Rangers. Its primary fire mode launches ballistic grenades. All active grenades can be detonated with the Secondary Fire feature included in Update 17.0.
The damage listed in game is damage from physical grenade impact with a target. The explosion is significantly more powerful.
|Time: 24 hrs|
|Market Price: 150||Blueprints Price: 30,000|
This weapon deals primarily Blast damage.
- Grenades deal Impact damage when hitting an enemy.
- High AoE Damage.
- 350 Blast damage that can be increased by mods.
- Heavy Caliber does not significantly reduce accuracy.
- Explosion can also cause procs.
- Can use Adhesive Blast and the Penta-exclusive Tether Grenades mods.
- Explosion deals Blast damage, which cannot be changed into another type.
- Can only have five grenades out at once.
- When using the Split Chamber mod, the extra projectiles count towards the limit of five live grenades.
- Grenades that have stopped moving have no obvious visual or audio cue (but with "PhysX" enabled they have some sparks when at a complete stop).
- Grenades have slow projectile speed, travel time and heavy arcing.
- Grenades have a high bouncing capability which makes it hard to stack on a desired spot.
- The explosion can damage or even kill the user if caught within the blast radius, especially with high damage builds.
- Penta, compared to Secura Penta:
- See Category:Penta Build to see how players mod this weapon.
- See Category:Penta Guides for guides on how to use this weapon effectively.
- For more general help with weapons, you may wish to browse Category:Weapon Guides.
- Detonations can be triggered while the player is performing other actions.
- Launching a grenade is silent to enemies, though explosions are noticeable.
- Grenades have no arming delay, and can be detonated instantly with the use of the Secondary Fire button.
- Grenades can be bounced around corners, off walls, and over low obstacles.
- Grenades that bounce into enemies deal damage even when bouncing off of other enemies.
- Multiple impacts dealt by the same grenade are possible.
- Grenades do not bounce when striking water, coming to a dead stop instead. This allows perfect aiming for setting traps, but is ineffective with Undertow as drowning enemies do not take damage from external sources.
- The Arsenal interface used to label only the damage of the grenade on impact, but now labels the Impact damage of the projectile as well as the base Blast damage (350 base).
- 82.35% [350/(350+75)] of any elemental damage shown in the UI will be used for the AOE damage while the rest is for projectile damage.
- Increasing the Magazine size of the weapon does not increase the 5 grenade limit.
- Though the grenade explosion does not destroy rockets from Bombards, impacts by the grenades from very accurate (or sometimes lucky) shots can.
- When using Split Chamber, the second grenade is noticeable from the first (but only with Heavy Caliber at a reasonable rank), though they share the same trajectory and usually bounce the same direction too.
- Penta formerly used Rifle Ammo Mutation instead of Sniper Ammo Mutation, while still using sniper ammo. This was fixed in Update 17.5.
- Prior to Update 18.5, Adhesive Blast caused grenades to explode after a set amount of time.
- Grenades fired from the Penta are lobbed in a heavy arc, allowing the player to kill enemies hiding behind cover much more easily, as the detonation happens upon external trigger.
- Standing at a greater height allows for the grenades to be lobbed and bounce further, allowing the user to see the grenades better, as well as eliminating the worry of self-damage.
- A maxed Firestorm increases the blast radius from the initial 5 meters up to 6.2 meters, allowing more enemies to be caught in the blast.
- It is not recommended to use Punch Through mods as grenades can often go through the floor on some tilesets, making it impossible to bounce every time.
- Split Chamber can spawn a sixth grenade provided that the multishot procs when 4 grenades are already out
- While multishot mods are commonly considered necessary to increase damage output, due to the Penta's mechanics of remote detonation and limited grenades active at once, it's not as much of an instant damage increase as with normal weapons. It can be useful for setting up a large amount of grenades faster, however.
- Elemental mods such as Cryo Rounds and Hellfire are external from the main Blast damage, allowing the weapon to have 3 separate elemental combinations. If one creates a Blast damage combination, it will merely add itself to the main explosion damage.
- Be extra cautious and do not attempt to use in small areas. A single fully-modded grenade can usually kill any Warframe unless protected in some way. Warframes with high Armor rating like Valkyr and Chroma have a good chance to survive, though.
- Players can detonate grenades in mid-air for an 'airburst' effect, which can deal headshot damage to targets below.
- The Penta is a very effective weapon when firing from a safe location on an Infested mission.
- The default color of the grenades can make it hard to see in the middle of a crowd of enemies or from their random bouncing. Change the energy color to suit certain tile sets (E.g. do not use bright white for Corpus Outpost missions).
- Be wary when installing Infected Clip or Malignant Force, as the Toxin damage from either mod can bypass Warframe shields and deal damage directly to health.
- As mentioned above, be cautious while firing the Penta when you are near water, as the grenades come to a dead stop when they hit water.
- Grenades will immediately explode when impacting the following surfaces, allowing instant high damage to enemies:
- Released in Update 11.3.
- This is the first weapon to have the Zoom capability replaced with a different function pre-U17.
- Penta derives from the Greek prefix of "five", which makes sense as the grenade launcher utilizes a magazine of 5 grenades.
- This seems to be the first Corpus weapon to be named after Greek origin instead of Latin.
- Penta is one of the weapons with a non-static model: the magazine feeds up to the gun upon firing and the slide around the barrel is pulled back during reloading.
- It seems the entire gun represents a mere skeletal structure, unlike most Corpus weaponry.
- The Penta is the first Corpus weapon to focus on explosive weaponry, utilizing the technology on Plasma grenades through a launch system. They, however, deal blast damage, which does not fit the Corpus theme.
- The grenades are flat and rectangular, which is odd, considering their ability to bounce.
- On the stats, it says the trigger is blank.
- This is one of the few weapons to have Reflective Textures, which were added circaUpdate 15.0. The other weapons appear to be the Sybaris, Quanta, Soma, Mutalist Quanta, Detron and the Opticor (Needs confirmation).
- Rarely a detonation will cause damage to you even if the grenade is well beyond the explosion radius. Attempts have been made to fix this issue, with varying degrees of success.
- In its Arsenal UI, it does not display its trigger function, though it functions as Semi-Auto, possibly because it deals damage on impact, unlike other Active trigger weapons.
- Occasionally, the flames emitted by the Penta can remain indefinitely if reloaded too frequently.
- Torid, an Infested toxic fume grenade launcher.
- Tonkor, the Grineer equivalent
- Secura Penta, the Perrin Sequence custom version.