|The above video is not up to date. It may contain old video footage as well as outdated or incorrect information.
“You're not supposed to be in here! You're going to ruin the surprise!”The following section contains spoilers.
“It's taking longer than I calculated.”This page is actively being worked on and may not be completely correct. Please assist in making this page accurate.
Rivens mods are unique amongst other mods in a variety of ways. They:
- require the player to complete stated challenge to reveal its weapon assignment and attributes
- carry anywhere from two to three different bonuses
- can carry a negative stat, whose effects can be crippling but greatly increases the potency of bonuses
- have an inconsistent polarity
- have their own Mastery Rank requirement independent of the weapon
- can have its attributes re-rolled with the use of Kuva
- are assigned to a single weapon per Riven mod, likened to Syndicate mods
- cannot be equipped alongside another Riven mod
- are earned from completing the daily sortie missions
Upgrade costs and Trading Credit taxes of Riven mods are equivalent to those of Rare mods.
Players start off with 15 inventory slots for Riven mods, able to be increased by purchasing 3 slots for ( 60) at a time up to 90 ( 1,500). Receiving a Riven mod while being at the current limit will block access to any further Sorties, and the player will be given a choice to purchase slots, trade away a Riven mod, or dissolve a Riven mod of their selection.
When a player receives a Riven Mod, it is Veiled and:
- will not take up mod capacity
- will not grant any bonuses or curses
- cannot be upgraded
- must be equipped on a weapon for players to complete the challenge stated on the equipped mod in order to reveal its attributes e.g. killing a certain number of enemies without being afflicted by Status Effects.
- the weapon used to complete a challenge is entirely irrelevant to the resulting Riven.
- it is possible to complete the challenges using any weapon or Warframe ability, regardless of which the Riven was equipped on.
- if its conditions are met, the Riven will be revealed independently of mission success.
|Kill [50-80] enemies.||
|Kill [15-20] enemies with headshots.||
|Kill [10-20] enemies while sliding.||
|Get the killing blow on [2-12] Sentients.||
|Find [2-4] Caches.||
|Synthesize a Simaris target without using traps or abilities while having a Hobbled Dragon Key equipped.||
|Get [10-20] kills in a row while wall dashing or wall clinging without touching the floor.||
|Find [12-24] Syndicate Medallions.||
|Sustain a 3x melee combo multiplier for 30 seconds.||
|Complete a survival mission with level 30 or higher enemies without killing anyone.||
|Complete an extermination mission with level 30 or higher enemies without being detected.||
|Complete a defense mission with level 30 or higher enemies without the defense objective taking any damage.||
|Complete a solo interception mission with level 30 or higher enemies with a Hobbled Dragon Key equipped.||
|Kill [15-60] enemies with finishers.||
|Get 3 headshot kills in a single aim glide.||
|Catch X Fish without missing a throw.||
|Catch one Fish, Mine one gem or metal, and kill one enemy in 30 seconds.||
|Kill X wild animals with a fishing spear.|
|Land X consecutive headshots while in Archwing mode in the Plains of Eidolon.||
|Kill X enemies with headshots from at least 100 meters away.||
|Kill X Dargyn Pilots before they hit the ground.|
|Destroy X Dargyns with a bow.||
|Kill X enemies that are on a dropship.||
|Complete an incursion.||
|Destroy X Vruush Turrets while in Archwing.||
|Kill 3 Airborne Condrocs within 5 seconds.||
|Kill X unalerted Tusk Ballistas with a headshot.|
Rivens are distinct from regular mods in that they are inconsistent in Polarity, Mastery Rank requirement, attributes and have between two and four attributes. It is possible to have Rivens to grant a very powerful set of bonuses with a negligible curse and vice-versa i.e. Soma Sati-Critatis with a curse that reduces status duration.
Riven mods draw their names from a size pool of 30, indicated by the randomized/rerolled attributes that the new mod has. Names consist of a prefix and/or a core and suffix and follows "Prefix-CoreSuffix" or "CoreSuffix".
The 30 positive attributes are:
|Damage vs. Corpus||Manti||Tron|
|Damage vs. Grineer||Argi||Con|
|Damage vs. Infested||Pura||Ada|
|Critical Chance on Slide Attack*||Pleci||Nent|
|Base Damage / Melee Damage||Visi||Ata|
|Fire Rate / Attack Speed*||Croni||Dra|
*Melee exclusive attributes.
The randomized attributes for Riven mods are affected by Disposition, a modifier provided by the system that collates the usage popularity of a given weapon across the entire player base. Disposition strength controls the range of the attributes available for each weapon. There are five different ranks of Disposition that can be assigned:
- Competent: Assigned to the most infrequently-used of weapons. Rivens with this disposition provide the greatest bonuses.
- Strong: This Disposition is assigned to less popular weapons, and Riven mods provide above-average bonuses.
- Neutral: Weapons that see average usage within the player base, resulting in an equally average range of attributes.
- Mild: Slightly more popular weapons will see a less powerful Riven mod.
- Faint: Assigned to powerful weapons that see very high usage, this Disposition creates Riven mods with the most restrained of attributes.
If a weapon's disposition is changed, the attributes on already unveiled Rivens for the weapon will be automatically adjusted to match the new disposition. e.g. AkLex disposition reduced from 5 to 3 in Hotfix 19.8.1
A weapon's Disposition can be seen in the Arsenal under the Upgrade tab, but only when a riven which can be equipped to that weapon is currently owned.
Below is a list of weapons by Disposition:
While not listed in the above table, all Zaw Strikes have neutral disposition.
Another unique aspect of a Riven mod's attributes is their ability to cycle (re-roll) the attributes via the Cycle function in the Mods segment in the Orbiter. A Riven mod is cycled after spending Kuva, found through Kuva Siphon objectives on planets close to the Kuva Fortress or as an uncommon reward for completing Bounties.
Cycling a Riven mod affects the number of attributes, as well as the final numerical attribute, but not the current weapon designation, mod rank, polarity or Mastery Rank requirement. Dispositions belong to the weapons and not the mods, and thus a cycled riven will not have attributes outside its own range of values.
After cycling a mod, both the old version of the mod and the new version is displayed, and players can choose to keep the version they prefer.
Cycling a Riven mod starts off with 900 Kuva for the first cycle and increases on subsequent cycles of the same mod, capped at 3500 Kuva. The number of cycles is indicated by a clockwise arrow at the bottom right of the Riven mod.
|Cycle||Cost||Cumulative Cost||~Runs||Cumulative Runs|
Total Kuva cost to roll
- an unrolled riven 9 times: 16,450
- a high-rolled riven 9 times: 31,500
Total Kuva saved over 9 rolls by rolling an unrolled riven compared to a high-rolled one: 15,050
- Main article: Riven Transmuter
If a player has excess Rivens and are comfortable with doing away several of them, a Riven Transmuter allows them to sacrifice four Rivens in their inventory for a new, veiled Riven mod.
The Riven Transmuter is a drop acquired from the Hydrolyst, consumes four Riven Mods to transmute them into a veiled Riven mod. If four of the same type of Riven Mods are transmuted i.e. all shotgun, all rifles, all melee, etc then the new Riven mod will be of the same weapon class.
Upon transmutation, four Riven mods and the Riven Transmuter will be consumed.
- Riven Mods are not saved in a player's Codex.
- It is possible to complete multiple Riven Mod challenges within a single mission, assuming the player qualifies for them simultaneously. Due to the single Riven Mod per weapon limit, they also must be of simultaneously the Primary, Secondary and Melee categories.
- While it is possible to equip a veiled Riven Mod onto sentinel weapons, the challenge will not appear for the player (possible bug).
- Typing [Riven Mod] in the in-game chat and selecting the mod will let other players in the same chat channel see its bonuses.
- Typing out the name of the actual Riven mod is a faster way of representing the player's mod in chat.
- Base (unranked) Endo value of Riven Mods is affected by the mastery rank requirement, weapon type, and number of cycles.
- A Riven Mod's weapon is determined upon unveiling, not on drop. Therefore, a Riven Mod can be obtained, saved, and unveil a weapon that did not exist when the Riven Mod itself was created.
- Riven Mods can be used on variants of a particular weapon, including MK1, Prime, Vandal, Wraith, Dex, Prisma, Mara, and Syndicate variants.
- Being entirely separate weapons, Riven Mods for the Mutalist Cernos and the Mutalist Quanta are not compatible with the normal Cernos or Quanta respectively, and vice versa. The same restriction applies to Dual Sidearms and Single Sidearms. Several Melee weapons such as Dex Dakra and Dakra Prime, Nikana (Prime) and Dragon Nikana are also considered separate melee weapons.
- Riven Mods for Zaws are determined by the Strike.
- Riven Mods will not generate for Exalted Weapons.
- If a Riven Mod includes multiple elemental damage bonuses, the elements listed are applied in the reversed order. This means that any other elemental damage mod installed to the left of the Riven Mod will interact with the last element listed as opposed to the first element listed. Placing an elemental damage mod to the right of said Riven Mod instead will not affect the Riven Mod's combined damage for this reason.
- For example, if a Heat damage mod is placed to the left of a Riven Mod that grants Electric and Cold damage (and thus, Magnetic damage), it will create Blast and Electric damage as opposed to Radiation and Cold damage. Putting said Heat damage mod to the right of the Riven Mod will keep the Magnetic damage intact.
- As of Hotfix 19.10.1 Artax Riven Mods are no longer obtainable from Sorties. Given the short 5-day period between the weapon's introduction and the hotfix, and the low chance of getting Artax Riven mods from sorties, this makes the Artax Riven the rarest Riven mod currently in circulation.
- Currently, the lowest Mastery Rank requirement to equip a Riven mod is 8, and the highest is 16, making players who have Mastery Rank above or equal to 16 capable of equipping any Riven mods regardless of its Mastery Rank requirement. This also means Mastery Rank 16 is the point where a player can use any and all equipment in the game at the moment.
- Riven mods feature a dynamic image, which constantly shifts between the images of the bonuses. For example, a Riven Rifle mod that affects Critical chance and Critical damage (positively or negatively) will shift between Point Strike's image and Vital Sense's image.
- Riven is the past participle of the Middle English verb Rive, which means "to violently tear apart".
- Taking into account the existence of 24 possible positive effects, the possibility of one negative effect, and that elemental damage and punch through cannot be negative attributes, also the fact that effects don't fall into the same category nor does order matter: there are 5,083 possible Riven Mod stat combinations that have two positive effects and one or zero negative effects, and 35,673 possible Riven Mod stat combinations that have three positive effects and one or zero negative effects, making a total of 40,756 different combinations for a single Riven (NOTE: Only applies for Weapons that deal Physical Damage, not fully pure Elemental Damage weapons like Amprex)
- The total Endo gain from dissolving a Riven Mod is equal to (100 × (MasteryRank - 8)) + (22.5 × 2 ModRank) + (200 × Rerolls), rounded up. So, the base value for an unranked, unrolled MR13 mod would be (100 × (13 − 8)) + (22.5 × 20) + (0 × 200) = 522.5, rounded up to 523.
- If a Riven Mod is unveiled while already being on the weapon it turns out to be for, it will remain on the weapon but not drain any mod points. This also allows weapons to reach negative mod point values.
For more examples of Riven mods, see here
- Official Exhibit
- Google Doc - All Riven Dispositions & possible stats (WIP)
- Google Doc - All Riven Disposition changes - buffs & nerfs.