The Sigma & Octantis is a sword and shield combo, available through the Daily Tribute system, as a reward for logging in for 700 cumulative days. This weapon features a special throw attack activated by tapping the melee button in mid-air, which throws the shield at an enemy, staggering them and opening them to finisher attacks for a brief period.
This weapon primarily deals Slash damage.
- Mostly Slash damage, effective against Flesh and Infested Flesh.
- High critical chance.
- Decent status chance.
- Good attack speed.
- Higher than average critical multiplier.
- Low Puncture damage, less effective against Armor.
- The throw attack's stun can sometimes stagger enemies out of range of melee attacks, making it difficult to perform the finisher before the effect wears off (which already has a very short window of opportunity).
- Throw attack's finisher window can be overwritten by almost all other animations or stuns (such as a Heavy Gunner's ground slam animation, or element proc stuns like Electric or Impact), making it even more difficult to actually perform a finisher attack at all.
- Throw attack seems to home in on the closest enemy, rather than the enemy being aimed at, making precise targeting difficult.
- The slow finisher animation of sword-&-shield type weapons makes the finisher attack cumbersome.
- Additionally, many enemies do not have programmed finisher attacks for sword-&-shield type weapons at all, making the throw attack useless for more than the stun effect on those enemies.
- The throw attack is done by simply tapping the melee button while in mid-air; holding down the button is not necessary, which makes it very fluid.
- Throw attacks can be done both while the weapon is fully equipped or with a quick melee attack.
- The thrown shield has a slight homing effect, similar to thrown Glaives, though it is still capable of missing.
- The throw attack can be done in any direction (dictated by your aim), and therefore the usual downward melee slam attack is done by looking straight down.
- Sigma & Octantis likely refers to the southern star σ Octantis (Sigma Octantis) whose position near the southern celestial pole makes it the southern hemisphere's pole star.