An Infested heavy melee unit, the Toxic Ancient stands out for the ability to cast a toxic aura around surrounding allies, granting them Toxin damage. Along with their toxic aura, these Ancients possess the ability to excrete a deadly toxic cloud around them, dealing heavy Toxin damage. Melee combat against this type of ancient is not recommended if your melee weapon has a short range (particularly Daggers and Gauntlets, and Longswords to a lesser degree).
Toxic Ancients can be identified by the bright green glow from their heads, as well as their black and green bodies.
- Deals poison damage in attacks as well as occasionally releasing clouds around itself that deals heavy toxin damage, and gives all nearby enemies poison damage. Ancient and nearby enemies are resistant to poison and gas damage.
- The Toxin Ancient itself is immune to Toxin DoTs and Gas damage.
- On sight of an enemy, the Ancient will roar to threaten enemies, similar to other Ancients. However, this roar will deal heavy Toxin damage over its duration in a short cone in front of the Ancient, with lethal consequences for enemies with low health that are too close to it.
- Toxic Ancients, like the other Ancients, will continue to pursue their targets if they have detected them then chased after, even if these targets have turned invisible (Shade's Ghost etc.).
- If Sentinels are used in missions, be cautious, as the fumes created by the Toxic Ancients are much more likely to cause significant damage to them, killing them almost instantly in some cases.
- Physically touching a Toxic Ancient will inflict a DoT of poison as long as you are touching it, and has a chance to inflict a more deadly toxin Proc, which will leave you with an 8 second poison DoT that can easily kill players with low health.
- They will occasionally deploy grappling hooks to reel in players into melee range, identical to that used by Grineer Scorpions.
- While under the effect of Mind Control will offer allies a resistance to toxin effects.
- The same effect applies to Shadow Ancients.
- The presence of a Toxic Ancient can damage a cryopod on defense missions.
- Prior to Update 9, A Toxic Ancient shrunk if Stealth Attacked.
- They will shrink in some cases due to Ash's Blade Storm.
- In alert assassination missions against the Infested, the target is sometimes a Toxic Ancient. They still drop blueprints on death as the target of that planet would.
- After the change in model and appearance in update 9, their lower legs are very hard to hit, as bullets will usually miss or go through the legs without dealing damage. Try to aim between the middle of the legs and their "waist" as most bullets will hit this area.
- It is not recommended to use Mag's Pull or Valkyr's Rip Line against this target, for obvious reasons.
- Using Nekros' Soul Punch will send an ancient flying which can be very helpful on high level defense.
- If a Tenno enters stealth while an Ancient is charging into attack range and remains in the same position, the Ancient's first attack will still connect but it will not continue to attack until its target becomes visible again. This may actually be counterproductive for the Toxic Ancient as the attack will often knock the invisible Tenno out of poison range.
- An Ancient under the effects of a Radiation proc will have their aura's temporarily disabled to its allies although the effect will still be negatively applied to players.
- When in an idle state (not in alert), Toxic Ancients do not emit toxic fumes out of their bodies.
- As of Update 11, Toxic Ancients do not leave poison clouds in places where they recently died.
- The Toxic Ancients are the only Ancients whose name ends with the word "Ancient".
- Sometimes, in Alert missions, players can see a targeted Infested depicted as the Toxic Ancient, amusingly targeted for being an Intelligence Officer or similar title.
- As an Eximus, a Toxic Ancient goes by the name Venomous Ancient Elder.
- According to the Lotus, the Ancients are a plant-like lifeform.
- The Pre-Update 9 color scheme of the Toxic Ancient is the current color scheme of the Toxic Crawler.
|Walker||Charger • Leaper • Maggot • Runner • Volatile Runner|
|Crawler||Crawler • Electric Crawler • Lobber Crawler • Nauseous Crawler • Toxic Crawler|
|Machine||Mutalist Osprey • Swarm-Mutalist MOA • Tar-Mutalist MOA|
|Ancient||Ancient Disruptor • Ancient Healer • Boiler • Brood Mother • Toxic Ancient|
|Archwing||Attack Mutalist • Mutalist Lightning Carrier • Mutalist Toxic Carrier|
|Jordas Golem • Juggernaut (Behemoth) • Lephantis • Mutalist Alad V • Phorid|