I recently got this idea for new abilities for currently existing warframes. Since abilities come in the form of mods, we definitly have the space to put in new abilities with the player still able to custimize their frame as they want. As for the abilities, Im thinking of buffs like Valkry's Hysteria except with a twist to all the abilities.
For example, frost's new ability
- "Ice Age' Frost channels the ancient power of the cold and blasts ice missles at his enemies. These missles do x/x/x ice damage, cost no energy, lasts for x/x/x second, and the missles have specail interactions with frost's abilities.
- "Freeze" When the missles hit a enemy frozen by freeze, the damage is amplified and it does not defreeze the enemy like gunfire
- "Ice Wave" When in "Ice Age" Ice wave's radius is increased in either a cone or spread formation and slow, damage, are increased.
- "Frost Globe" When Frost fires ice missles through Frost Globe, the range is decreased but the missles turn to aoe cone upon going thorugh the globe
- "Avalanche" In "Ice Age" form, Frost will raise both hands to cast Avalanche, doubling the radius and significantly increasing it's damage.
In " Ice Age" frost cannot use primary or secondary weapons, only melee, the ice missles, (used with left mouse button) and abilities.
I feel that the old frames need some new mechanics to them; and just to make this more epic, make them rare mods that drop from enemies or certain bosses. Since warframes have only 4 abilities slots, players will need to consider what they want to take, adding more personalization to the game and bringing back more playability to the old frames, or make them prime exclusive so that primes are more valuble and fit their "prime" theme with new abilities.