The Viper is a machine pistol of Grineer design issued to their Shield Lancers. It is the most portable weapon manufactured by the Grineer and boasts a high rate of fire and an extremely efficient magazine reload, but poor accuracy.
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 75||Blueprints Price:20,000|
This weapon deals primarily Impact damage.
- High Impact damage – effective against shields.
- Good critical chance.
- Very fast reload speed.
- Tied with Viper Wraith for fastest fire rate of all single-handed pistols.
- Good accuracy.
- Can use the Viper-exclusive Stinging Truth mod.
- A polarity slot.
- Small magazine size.
- Combined with its very fast fire rate results in frequent reloading.
- Inefficient ammo economy.
- Below average critical damage multiplier.
- Low status chance.
- Viper, compared to Twin Vipers:
- Lower fire rate (14.38 rounds/sec vs. 25 rounds/sec)
- Smaller magazine (14 rounds vs. 28 rounds)
- Faster reload speed (0.7 s vs. 2 s)
- Different polarities ( vs. )
- Lower Mastery Rank required (4 vs. 5)
- Viper, compared to Viper Wraith:
- Lower base damage (17.0 vs. 18.0)
- Lower critical chance (15% vs. 19%)
- Lower critical damage multiplier (1.5x vs. 2x)
- Higher status chance (11% vs. 9%)
- Smaller magazine (14 rounds vs. 20 rounds)
- Faster reload speed (0.7 s vs. 0.8 s)
- Less accurate (15 vs. 29)
- Different polarities ( vs. )
- See Category:Viper Build to see how players mod this weapon.
- See Category:Viper Guides for guides on how to use this weapon effectively.
- For more general help with weapons, you may wish to browse Category:Weapon Guides.
- Although it is not recommended for long range fighting, correctly aiming and tapping the trigger will expend 1-2 bullets at once, and you may get a decent critical or headshot rate by doing this.
- This may be done more comfortably by making a secondary keybind for firing on mouse wheel. It shall also allow to fire in a way Shield Lancers do.
- Using the Pistol Ammo Mutation mod can help regain lost ammo when needed. Alternatively, use Pistol Scavenger aura or bring along Team Ammo Restore.
- The Viper was released on the 18th of March, 2013 with Update 7.
- On the Viper's barrel, the word , which translates to "Viper" is inscribed in the Grineer Language. In earlier versions of the game this line of text was which translates to "Serberus", probably indicating an earlier name for the gun. The Viper's UI icon still shows a Viper with "Serberus" inscribed on it.
- The Viper(s) uniquely has a distinct sound when its trigger is released. This could be a mechanism used to stop the bullet feed or to halt the cyclic action.
- Until Update 17.0, Shield Lancers fired their Vipers in three-round bursts, a holdover from when Shield Lancers used to be equipped with the Sicarus.
- When equipped by Banshee, the Viper will clip entirely inside her fingers when idle.
- Twin Vipers, the akimbo counterpart of the Viper.
- Twin Wraith Vipers, the special event counterpart to the Twin Vipers.
- Shield Lancer, the Grineer unit that uses the Viper.
- Stinging Truth, a Viper exclusive Syndicate mod.