Rupture the ground with a damaging fungal growth that steals energy from each enemy it strikes. For every five enemies hit, the Infestation mutates, multiplying its destructive force.
|Strength:150 / 160 / 175 / 200 (damage)|
|Range:10 / 11 / 13 / 16 m|
|Misc:10 (energy refund per hit)|
- Nidus ruptures the ground to unleash a linear growth of fungal infestation 10 / 11 / 13 / 16 meters long and 4 meters wide toward the targeted location. Enemies struck by fungal growth are staggered, dealt 150 / 160 / 175 / 200 base damage amplified by the number of Mutation stacks accumulated, as well as refunding 10 energy to Nidus for each enemy hit.
- Enemies hit by Virulence contribute to Nidus' Mutation gauge.
- Base damage is affected by Ability Strength.
- Damage is split between Impact, Puncture, and Slash damage types.
- Virulence's total damage uses the following expression when accounting for Ability Strength and Mutation stacks: Amplified Damage = Base Damage × (1 + Ability Strength) × (1 + Number of Stacks)
- With a maxed Intensify, 15% Ability Strength rank bonus, and 100 stacks, rank-3 Virulence's total damage will be increased to 200 × (1 + 15% + 30%) × (1 + 100) = 29,290 damage (decimals are rounded down to the nearest whole number during calculations).
- Energy refund is inversely affected by Ability Efficiency because it is always 25% of energy used to cast, per enemy.
- Length is affected by Ability Range, while width is not.
- While Nidus is connected to a target via Parasitic Link, using Virulence will spawn a second instance from the linked target that grows toward the targeted location, converging with the first instance from Nidus.
- Maggots from Ravenous can be manually detonated when impaled by Virulence's fungal growth, exploding for damage and contributing to the Mutation gauge per enemy hit.
- Holding the ability key (default
) displays a rectangular range indicator on the horizontal plane in front of Nidus. Releasing the key casts Virulence. Range indicator is affected by the chosen energy color.
- Player can move the aiming reticle while holding down the button to aim Virulence at the desired direction.
- While held, the player can still perform other actions such as moving, jumping, firing weapons, and casting other abilities. Releasing the key while in midair will exit range indicator mode without casting Virulence.
- While connected via Parasitic Link, a second range indicator visible to Nidus only will also appear around the linked target.
- While held, Maggots from Ravenous will be marked on the HUD, allowing increased visibility for selective detonation using Virulence.
- Virulence will cast toward the targeted location regardless of Nidus' orientation.
- Cannot be cast while in the air.
- Cannot be recast until the fungal growth's maximum length is reached or until it cannot spawn any further due to obstruction. Therefore, Natural Talent and Speed Drift only affect the speed of Nidus' stomping animation.
- Fungal growth's infestation does not spawn up or down high terrain elevations, but do flow up and down stairs and ramps.
- Can stagger enemies to help keep them in place for recasts.
- Can completely refund its cost when it hits at least 4 targets. 5 or more targets allow Nidus to earn extra energy.
- Due to the refund per hit always being kept at 1/4th the ability's cost, negative efficiency can be used to gain more energy over 4 hits at the cost of a higher initial cast cost.
- Collect Mutation stacks to amplify Virulence's damage drastically over the course of a mission.
- Hold to line up Virulence on groups of enemies before releasing to cast. This is an efficient method to gather extra energy and collect hits for stacks. Jump and release to toggle off the range indicator without casting the ability.
- Use Larva to gather enemies in one spot, then unleash Virulence to optimize damage and stack collection.
- Casting Virulence while Parasitic Link is active allows both Nidus and the linked target to create a line of fungal growths from your positions toward where you aim. This allows Nidus to effectively extend his reach on Virulence, and collect double hits for stacks if both lines hit the same enemies. Hold the to help determine where you and your linked targets' lines will spawn.
- Can detonate Maggots spawned from Ravenous by you and any Nidus players in your squad. Hits from both the fungal growth and maggot explosion each count toward the Mutation gauge. Blow up anyone's Maggots to help you and your brethren gather more stacks quickly!
- If the fungal growth cannot spawn any further because of obstruction, you can immediately recast Virulence.
Maximization is a form of specialization: mods may be blended to result in values that vary between the top-end limits listed here. Click any maximized link to learn how to build it.
- Maximized Ability Duration has no positive effects on this ability.
- Reduces range to 5.44 meters.
- Maximized Ability Efficiency reduces cost to 10 energy and energy refund to 2.5 energy.
- Has no negative effects on this ability.
- Maximized Ability Range increases range to 44.8 meters.
- reduces damage to 110.
- Maximized Ability Strength increases damage to 776.
- Without Energy Conversion, increases damage to 676.
- Increases cost to 62 energy and energy refund to 15.5 energy.
At 100 stacks:
With Parasitic Link active on an ally: